Thursday 5 December 2013

My Game of the Year

Best Shooter: Payday 2
While Payday 2 was not one of the big 2 FPS that came out this year, it did, in my opinion, bring a lot more to the table. Don't get me wrong I like Call of Duty and Battlefield, they don't bring anything that drastically different each year. However, Payday 2 hands down improved the original which was already an amazing game. The mechanics are good, the design is good and it had me playing for hours at a time. It also cost a fraction of the price that the big titles cost. All in all a great game. 
Best RPG: Bioshock Infinite
This is hardly a surprise to anyone who has played this game. Not only did this swap the underwater lands of Rapture for an interesting new design of a floating Columbia, but it brought in one of the best stories I've seen. It has some of the better combat mechanics, great graphics, hilarious glitches and short bursts of pure brilliance, it hands down beats other RPGs such as AC4. 
Best Action Game GTA V
The game everyone had been waiting for, and it turned out good. GTA V povided players with an impressive story, classic GTA online and actually gave players a benefit for their mistake.The only thing I can really fault on this game would be the lack of PC which from what I heard was not down to Rockstar. I've not played many action games this year, so this probably isn't everyone's idea of the best action game but it is mine.
Best Indie Game Paranautical Activity
The game no-one has heard of. I wrote a review on this game fairly early in my blogging career and I was blown away by what I found. A mix between Minecraft and Binding of Isaac is the perfect combination for a little indie game that can blow your socks off. Hours of pixel exploding fun.
Best Strategy Game Civilisation V
A late bloomer in the video game industry this year was Civilisation V, taking a more grown up approach to historical strategy. Civilisation provides the most fun, skilled and challenging experience of the development of humanity on the market. Well worth the hours it takes to win a game.
Best Acting Beyond Two Souls
Ah, everyone else thinks that The Last of Us has some amazing acting for a PS3 exclusive, but the other story based exclusive of the year is what had me hooked. The emotion portrayed by the actors behind this game made me feel like I was watching a highly interactive movie rather than playing a game. It even had me close to tears at one point. I was considering Last of Us but I guess this just took the biscuit for me. 
Best Story Bioshock Infinite
Anyone who has played this game understands why it needs no explanation. The plot twists, the character development, all of it just leads to the best story experience of 2013. I mean, Last of US story was pretty good but the ending just made me think "What? Why?" whereas Bioshock it was like "Holy mother of Jesus that was fantastic!". an obvious choice. Best Character Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite)
Maybe it's because of how incredibly useful she was in game (fetching ammo, money and health) or the fact she was one of the best developed characters I've seen. Either way I loved Elizabeth. The fact she comes back in DLC's as different forms of herself just adds to her character. She is also a key aspect to the story and the crazy inception that comes at the end. Great character in a great game.
Game of the Year Bioshock infinite
Whether it's due to the fact it won 3 of my choices or just how insanely awesome the game is, this is my personal Game of the Year of 2013. A great story, good acting, good mechanics, good characters, and good DLC, this game is the package.
Worst Game
Gravity Badgers, a really bad Angry Birds Space clone that costs a lot more. Blew my money on it as it looked promising but regret everything. My latest review pretty much explains this decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment